Monday, July 11, 2016

Real Time and Live Virtual Professional Development

Week 3-5


For the last few weeks, I had to participate in four live Twitter chats and four live webinars. I am going to list out the different online events I've attended and a summary of what I notices. 


Live Twitter Chats



1. June 29, 2016      #3rdchat




Summary: This was an awesome first experience in a Twitter chat. They moderator laid out the question and answer process for any new chatters. The chat was based around a book that they are reading for a book club. Although I didn't read the book, questions were based on ideas taken from the book, so my opinion on the topic of 3rd graders was still valid. It was great reading how 3rd grade teachers from across the world would get their communities involved in their classrooms. Of course, each of my answers incorporated some form of tech making the classroom a better place. Not all answers had to do with technology, since it wasn't specifically a technology based chat.



2. June 30, 2016     #games4ed





Summary: This chat was perfect for people who are looking to incorporate games into their classrooms. We discussed the different online personality types and how to reach each student through the use of different types of games. We also talked about ways we could get students involved in games that don't necessarily match their gamer type. Flexible grouping and personality type matching would have to be used to make games work in groups. I made a post about a virtual brag board to post at the conclusion of the game so students can show what they know. After the chat, I had one of the participants message me and ask me to get involved piloting a game he designed specifically for 3rd grade students. I have been in discussion about him and how we can make this work in my classroom.



3. July 7, 2016      #DENchat





Summary: Although I am not a member of Discovery Education Network, I am familiar with their product and was curious about the kind of information I would be able to gather from this chat. As part of the chat, we discussed different DEN strategies and how we use them in class. Based on the DEN archive and short descriptions, I was able to choose strategies that I actually do use in class and comment likewise. At the end of the chat, after tagging @edtechbsu about how I'm in the program but don't have enough tech in my room, the moderator referred me to one of her friends that assists people in grant writing to obtain more technology. We have kept in touch since the chat.



#4 July 7, 2016       #isedchat






Summary: This chat was supposed to be for people who teach in independent schools. Since I used to work for a small charter organization that could fit into the mold of independent, I joined in this conversation. I think I learned the most from this Twitter chat. There weren't many people in the chat which made it so much easier to follow the thread and respond to other people. We talked about new approached in tech ed and a lot of different ways to engage students in the classroom like quizzing with Kahoot, Google quizzes, and See-saw. I still have to do some research on Google quizzes and See-saw, but the other chatters seemed to love them. 


Live Webinars



1. June 30, 2016    The Medal of Honor Character Development Program




Summary: It was very hard to go through this entire Edweb.net webinar without crying. This character study was about Leroy Petry, who was an Army Ranger who sacrificed his own safety for that of his men and received the prestigious Medal of Honor for his dedication and sacrifice. As you can see in the first picture, Ranger Petry has a prosthetic hand due to his bravery in disposing of a grenade. There was a book written about this brave encounter called "Choosing Courage." This webinar could be used to teach students about bravery and the consequences of war. You could link this interview with other wars being studies in ELA or SS.



2. July 7 2016    Apps for Dyslexia, Dysgraphia, and Other Learning Disorders




Summary: This webinar was given by understood.org. This was all about 12 of the most updated or brand new apps on the market that will benefit students with Dyslexia, Dysgraphia, ADHD, ESL, Dyscalculia, and functioning issues. Some of the apps mentioned are free, some are a one-time payment, and other require subscriptions for services. I wish that I would have known some of these prior to this school year. I had a student with Dyslexia who would have benefit from the use of many of these apps.



3. July 7, 2016    Embedding Music in the Early Childhood Inclusion Classroom




Summary: I was hoping that even though I do not teach Early Childhood, I would be able to get something out of attending this Edweb.net webinar. As it turns out, I did. During the Q & A, my question about having students transition into the Elementary classroom was answered. Basically, for some students, it can be very difficult moving from Early Childhood classrooms into the Elementary classrooms. By adding songs to make moving from one place to another go smoothly, students will be able to follow expectations without yelling or consequences.



4. July 8, 2016     A Roadmap for Women's Leadership




Summary: This was an extremely information Edweb.net webinar about two very strong women and their encouragement for other women to take superior roles within education. Dr. Darlene P. Robles is a Superintendent of a school district in California and has been "shattering the glass ceiling" on the idea of women in traditional educational roles. She has joined forces with other strong women in education to write the book "A Culturally Proficient Society Begins in School." Here she discusses her struggle as a female Latina student and eventually a Latina woman in administration roles.


No comments:

Post a Comment