Wednesday, April 19, 2017

How People Learn


In this assignment, I was asked to create my own mash up of learning theories to create my own learning theory. Knowing that I could take any route into learning theories stressed me out, but then I recognized my own need to have some sort of focus as to who my learning theory would be made for. Since I am a 5th grade teacher, I decided to gear my mashed  up learning theory to the students in my classroom. I thought about their interactions with one another, which lessons they respond to best, and their addiction to any sort of technology. The image below is how I visually represent my learning theory (the black dot in the middle).


The kids in my classroom are walking and talking balls of technology-driven energy. Students around this age (9, 10, 11, even 12) work best when they are allowed to bounce their ideas off one another. When students collaborate in class, they are molding their own knowledge based on the feedback from other students. With the infusion of technology in the classroom that has taken the globe by storm, students are able to socialize via the internet to help build and change their knowledge based on those conversations. This is the combination of Connectivism and Constructivism.

To truly represent the idea learning theory for 5th graders, you have to incorporate the various learning styles. When students are accessing forms of technology, they are looking at the screen, potentially listening to information or other students, while typing and manipulating the mouse or cursor. They may not be up and moving around, but teachers can allow for jigsaw activities as a reflection of their technology usage to get the students up and moving from partner to partner. Although students would probably love the ability to NOT have conversations in class, it is still important for students to get that social interaction with people in a face-to-face fashion.

While creating my mash up of learning theories, I started thinking about my connections. How can teachers really get that kinesthetic learning style into their technology rich classroom? Are there any other theories that may fit into my learning theory without changing my view? Are there any key concepts I'm missing that would make my learning theory stronger?


1 comment:

  1. I am also an elementary teacher and find the level of my students engagement with technology is getting younger and younger. Many of my 1st graders (the youngest grade with my computer class), quickly pick up the concepts and use/function of a desktop computer. I like the idea of a jigsaw to keep the students moving and bouncing ideas off a new person. Technology reaches many learning styles as long as the teacher knows their audience and the types of technology to reach all the learning styles in their classroom. In the end they do build their own knowledge because they are so motivated by the technology applications.

    ReplyDelete