Sunday, September 8, 2013

Welcome!


My name is Kelsey Hegel and this Learning Log is going to be used as a portfolio of all the artifacts I create throughout my EDTECH 501 course in Boise State University's Master of Educational Technology program. At any time, please feel free to leave a comment with feedback.

Although I am currently teaching in an inner-city school in New Orleans, LA, I grew up in New Jersey. And I am definitely a Jersey girl. I have a very strong and aggressive personality that helps in my current teaching environment. My extrovert demeanor can be shocking to the locals ("Big Easy" mentality), but helps my students understand how passionate I am about my education, modeling how passionate they could be about theirs. 

Pursuing this degree will help me to advance in my career. Loving the challenge, I hope to use this Masters Degree to work with students with severe forms of Autism and communication disorders. The technology I learn about can help students who cannot speak, have a very well-educated voice. Not only are children able to flourish with such advanced forms of technology, but their families can too. Until I can merge my way into that field, the technological knowledge I acquire will be used to advance my current students, who are already at a significant disadvantage just because they live in New Orleans. Louisiana is consistently ranked the lowest performing state in the United States, New Orleans the lowest performing city, my school is one of the lowest performing in the city. Therefore, my students are some of the lowest performing in the country. That will change. 

Thank you for viewing my Learning Log. As the course progresses, so will my entries. Check back to see more!


6 comments:

  1. Hi Kelsey--looking forward to working with you in our small circle! I love that you're looking to use technology to work with students with severe forms of Autism; incredible--I can't wait to learn more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to have some exciting stories to tell as this course goes on. I have two students who I currently work with that have different degrees of Autism. I'll definitely have them be my enthusiastic test subjects. I can't wait to read your stuff as well!

      Delete
  2. Hello Kelsey!
    I used to work at in inner city k-8 school in Chicago. We were very low performing and were what was known as an 'overflow' school. Our student body was extremely small to begin the year, and once budgets (based on student enrollment) for the school year were approved, other schools would then send us students. I just wanted to tell you that the work you are doing is invaluable to your kids, and that the work you are doing is so important. I know how frustrating work in an under-performing school can be, and all the extra added pressures I am sure you must endure on a daily basis. Hang in there, and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! So I have someone who feels my pain! It's definitely the most difficult thing I've ever done, but I wouldn't change a thing. My kids are my world. What is it that you do?

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the introduction, Kelsey, and welcome to the course. I would check the HTML of your post and make sure there is not any code that is adjusting the size of your text. It's pretty small to read, so check on this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I fixed it. I clicked "normal" for the font size and it looks good on my screen. Hope it does on your end too.

      Delete